Thursday, September 23, 2010

Kinder Gardens Entry {Week 24 - The Wrap Up.}

It's the last week of the KinderGardens Contest.  Do you know how hard it's been to "wrap up" everything that's gone on around here?  As I've been going through photos of the kids AND the garden I've been weepy and sappy about days gone by. I mean, we've really come so far in just one little year.  

From this, the journey began in March... 


It took a lot of work to even get started.  And though I originally assured my husband that all the hardest work was done this year, we've got plans for at least four more raised beds next year.  


And that's gonna mean bustin' the current fence open for the expansion.  
{Love you, dear.}


Around the end of April I stumbled upon the KinderGarden's Contest.  It was a perfect fit!  A community of people doing the same thing we were.  Suh-weet!

So we've posted each week about how we've tried to make it a kid friendly space.


A place where they can learn.  Hands on, digging right in.


We found a shopping cart at a garage sale for $5.  


And that little shopping cart has "shopped for begetables" all summer.


With the sweetest of hands and feet filling it...


...with everything from onions, radishes, lettuce and green beans...


...to squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers and more!


Super Miles has saved the day, fighting squash bugs with bravery and cuteness...


...did I mention the cuteness?


We've learned that, just like the book says,...


...if you put one sunflower seed in the ground, you'll get a billion more for next year.  


We've eaten!!!


And eaten some more...


...and a little more!


We even eaten some dirt.


We've seen that a tiny seed, when carefully planted and tended to...


...can turn into something you can really enjoy!


Really, REALLY enjoy!


We've shared with our friends, encouraging them to get in the spirit of gardening for next year.


We've started composting everything in sight!


We've even been a little crafty to help us remember this first summer in the garden.


We've seen some little, tiny plants... 


...become the shade for an awesome "tunnel".


We even, despite squash vine borers and squash bugs, ...


...saw my lifelong dream of growing my own pumpkin to sit on my front porch come true.


We've really, thouroughly enjoyed all the work that gardening involves.


Just this week, we found all these flowers for 8 cents a piece.  Yay!  
Miles didn't have to be asked for help.  When we got home, he grabbed his wagon and started unloading.


He carted them to where I was working and lined them up...like a "track".  


It's been the most wonderful summer.  I would have had a garden without the KinderGardens Contest.  But I might not have challenged myself with getting the kids as involved.  They are really little.  There were times it most definitely would have been easier to go it alone.  But how thankful I am that I didn't.  

I pray that I always remember the Thomas boots and the cowboy hat...


...the baby steps, the dirt, the fun and the success that we experienced together this summer...


...the summer of our very first garden.
Amen.


Now, run on over to see the recaps everyone else will be posting at 
today.  I can hardly wait!!!

16 comments:

Cathryn said...

Beautiful recap!
It was fun "seeing" the kids grow over the summer! Just like the garden!
Congrats on the pumpkin and all the FUN this summer has brought your family!
See ya next year!

inadvertent farmer said...

Well darn it anyway...I'm sitting here in tears and they aren't even my kids...sniff.

That was one awesome re-cap. Your garden has amazed and thrilled me all summer long and I cannot say how glad I am that you and your sweet, sweet family shared with us all this summer!

I hope you will always remember these precious early years...trust me they fly by!

I also hope you will be back next year to join us again because I cannot imagine summer without all the kinderGARDEN posts to look forward to seeing! Your garden friend, Kim

annalea said...

this is amazing! really a great job.

Samantha said...

Faith, your post made me want to cry - seriously! I've loved loved following your adventures! Nicely done friend!

MommyTopics.com said...

I always love your posts, I love this one the most, and I still love that shopping cart!

Job well done!

Blessings
Rachymommy - MommyTopics.com

Conny said...

I really enjoyed watching your garden grow this summer. KinderGardens was such a fun project. Your children with their mini shopping cart brought smiles to my face. How fun it all was!

Kirsten said...

I've had so much fun watching you and your kids garden this summer. Can't wait to see what you come up with next year. :) Wonderful post with gorgeous photos, as always!!

Jodi said...

It was really great following along with your garden this summer! You did such a fantastic job and you were very inspiring and creative! Congratulations on a great season.

Shayne said...

What a beautiful revisit with all your wonderful pictures!

I think my favorites are the ones "eating dirt"...

Your children are beautiful!

The author said...

I've also enjoyed all your beautiful photos of your adorable children enjoying the garden. Wonderful wrap up post! I think that my favorite is Ella talking to Oscar.

Anonymous said...

What a terrific summer you all had in the garden. Great job! :)

gertie @ The Old Block House said...

What a wonderful post to find on this cold March morning. Thank you for sharing.

Mirys Segalla said...

I loved your post and your pictures! What a beautiful family you have!!! Congrats!!!

Kisses and blessings.
Mirys (from Brazil)
www.diariodos3mosqueteiros.blogspot.com

PS: I found you at Ashley Ann´s blog (under the sycamore).

Celia said...

I LOVE this post! I just found your site through Under the Sycamore. We will be having our first garden this year and hopefully our 2 year old will enjoy helping. You did an awesome job capturing your time together and had some great ideas!!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I found your blog through Under the Sycamore. I love the great gardening with kids tips. And I love the Sesame Street seeds! I have to figure out where I can get some.

Jess said...

The shopping cart! The Thomas boots and cowboy hat! Just... everything! What an amazingly gorgeous fun colorful summer you had.

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts