Friday, September 10, 2010

Kinder Gardens Entry {Week 22.}

In the garden this week...

We had some lovely, gloomy and rainy days this week courtesy of Tropical Storm Hermine.  I rejoice in those occasional days in the late summer because it means I don't have to water the garden.  And everything that's been on the verge of a heat stroke perks up the way only rain can make it.  


Heavy rains meant mud puddles in the driveway, so before we could even get to the garden we had to stop and get completely muddy.  


I'm hoping the cooler weather and rain will help the tomato plants produce a bit more in the coming days.  Other than lots of okra and bell peppers, we're waiting on the occasional butternut squash to come off the vine and for our 2nd planting of pumpkins and bush beans to {hopefully} develop.  

Miles asked if he could eat a bell pepper, and being silly, did this...


Always looking up to her big brother, E immediately did this...


Oh, and remember last week when I told you Miles ran his train through my mound of dirt housing newly planted butternut squash seeds?...



Surprisingly, they are Miles-proof.


And, drumroll please.....Three weeks later, we've finally finished our little commemorative work of art.  You might remember it from Week 19.  


I didn't get photos of the hand printing.  That was a bit of a circus.  Have you ever tried to get a 1 year old to flatten her hand out after covering it in paint?  She'd much rather look at it, eat it, and wipe it off on you.  Definitely not spread her fingers and place it carefully onto the canvas in a do-or-die-and-don't-ruin-the-canvas moment.  



What took most of the time was sanding and refinishing the frame.  It was from the 70's and had little black speckles all over it.  I love vintage, but not on wood grain.  


Trying to get it stained while the kids played under-foot was also interesting.  One second of not knowing exactly where Miss E was resulted in her holding the can of dark walnut stain.  In slow motion I yelled "Nooooooooo Ellllllaaaaaaa!", grabbed the can and miraculously, the only damage done was to her shoes.  


I'd complain, but they were a hand-me-down from a friend and at the rate that this little girl gets dirty, they were bound to end up looking like this anyway.  And to be perfectly honest, I dumped an entire can of stain on our front porch earlier in the summer on my very own.  These things could happen to anyone (or just me).

But then there was the slight mishap of breaking the glass as I was putting it all back together.  Dang Oklahoma wind.  I was going to boast that the entire project only cost $2.  The canvas was $1 at a garage sale.  The frame was $1 at a garage sale.  I had all other paint/stain/sanding supplies.  But then I broke the glass and that cost me $7.50 to replace.  So I'm up to $9.50.  Still not bad for a crafty little project with the kids.  And one that we'll always have around to help us remember our first little garden and the KinderGardens community. 

Off I go to check out what everyone else was up to this week at:








THE INADVERTENT FARMER'S

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

cute, cute, cute! and hooray for indestructible squash seedlings. :)

glad you were able to get some rain. i am jealous...we're parched.

Cathryn said...

This was a great post!! Loved reading it and love the picture to commemorate the kids' first garden!! Terrific idea!

It is fun to see that it is still summer somewhere in the world, I'm afraid we are already well in to fall.

Nicole said...

I just love your children! :)

When Patrick get our first house with land for a garden, I'm calling on you. It will be a while, so you will have plenty of experience. :D

The author said...

Yea for durable pumpkin seeds! What a wonderful project to remember your first gardening experience. It turned out awesome.

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts