Wednesday, May 12, 2010

tornados {hail vs. hell}

Monday evening was a bit crazy.  Over 22 tornadoes touched down in the state of Oklahoma.  Some of them left serious devastation.  

We were prepared to stick it out at home in the bathtub with a mattress and bicycle helmets.  Had it just been Britton and me, we probably would have stayed.  But with minutes to spare and kids to protect, we decided to load up and head to B's folks house.....about 3 miles away.  They have a cellar.  

I'm not a fan of storm cellars.  You can read more of my hate for the cellar HERE.  I was NOT excited to be jumping into this....


But you just do some things differently once you become a mother.  And when golf ball sized hail is falling on your head.  

{Apparently, you grow out of this motherly protect yourself and the kids thing, because my mom - who was at my house when we evacuated -  told me that she was just gonna stick it out there.  She refused the cellar.  She said she'd just tell that tornado to make her a sandwich.}

There were 11 people in the hell hole cellar.  And the electricity went out so there was no fan.  No air movement.  It was hot.  I got a bit light headed at the beginning.  I had to go to a happy place.  But as we listened to the golf ball sized hail beat down on the door, I was thankful for shelter.  And praying.

About a mile from our cellar, a tornado ripped homes apart, destroyed property and turned lives upside down.  We were very lucky to have been spared.

This hail was melty and considerably smaller than it was originally.... 


Miles thought it was "yummy".

No comments:

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts