Thursday, August 12, 2010

Kinder Gardens Entry {Week 18.}

What have we been up to in our garden this week?  

We continue to be amazed at the things that are growing to full maturity from tiny little seeds...

MAY 2010

AUGUST 2010


 He struggled a little bit to get the watermelon off the vine, but after a couple of minutes.....

VICTORY!


Can I just tell you how many time he dropped the thing?  Lost count.


It's a teeny little watermelon.  I've got to admit, I thought it would be bigger.


But it was a yummy little watermelon nonetheless.  


I didn't feel like cleaning watermelon juice off the kitchen floor, so after supper, we ventured outside for a taste.  
(A picnic table is on my list of things I MUST have for the fall.)


It was so yummy!


And so fun...


*****

We also started composting a couple of months ago.  Just a small space to see how it goes.

We have an apple tree.  And since I didn't learn that I had an apple tree until it was too late to spray, most of the apples are yuck.  So we decided to make the most of it and put them in the compost pile.  Miles decided he wouldn't touch the apples.  

They were "so so yucky, Momma."


But Ella?  

Without even being asked, shown, poked or prodded, she began to pick up the apples and place them in the wheel barrow.  


Miles was still a big help in hauling the apples to the compost.


Guess we'll continue to learn about this process as well.  We just keep throwing stuff in there and waiting for that "black gold" to use in our garden.  HA!


Go check out what other contestants are doing this week at:

THE INADVERTENT FARMER'S

6 comments:

inadvertent farmer said...

Ahhh the first taste of fresh watermelon is divine! I'm so glad your kids got to have some that they grew with their very own little hands!

May I just say your kiddos have the cutest cheeks...just want to squeeze them!

Tell the kids good job on the compost pile! Kim

Cathryn said...

Great post and great shots of all the joy!! I love the kiddo sized picnic table, if you buy one it'll be too big and they won't want to use it!!

Sooo cute, love the toes! Love the team work shot too!

MommyTopics.com said...

Wow... great photos and great post!!! I can't wait until we get to taste our first watermelon from our own garden. We are really looking forward to that, and this post got me all the more excited.

Your little ones are soooo precious!

Blessings
Rachymommy - MommyTopics.com

Jennifer said...

Adorable photos! It's great to see the kids out there picking and tasting right from the garden!

Conny said...

They're such good helpers! Surely wished you live closer because I have a kid-sized picnic table I'd send your way.

The author said...

The pictures of Ella putting the apples in the wheelbarrow is so precious it makes me want to try again for a girl, almost! What sweet success for Miles with the watermelon. Great post.

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts