Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kinder Gardens Entry {Week 19.}

We've cleared out much of our garden.  Never having ventured into fall gardening before, we're learning what can be planted now for a cool weather crop.  

We prepared one of the beds for a fall round of bush beans.  Miles had a "digger-digger" in each hand.  He's got some mad gardening skills.  



So does Ella.


"We make a good team, Momma!" - M


If I turn my back for even 2 seconds, this is what happens...


She was so stinkin' proud of herself.  She's had fever off and on all week.  Look at those tired, little squinty eyes.  This was the most fun she'd had all day.


Now that she's officially mobile, I'm sure glad we have a gate on our little garden.  Otherwise, I get alot of this...


She's got so much to running and exploring to do!



When we planted the bush beans, Miles told me each step of the process (without me asking, I might add.) 
"Poke a hole in the dirt.  Put the seed in.  Pat the dirt. Give it water!"  
He's such a pro now.


Inspired by this post from Kirsten, we grabbed up one of our last surviving sunflowers and started on an "Our First Garden" commemorative work of art.  You'll have to stay tuned to see how it turns out, because we're not quite finished with it...

I just used supplies we had.  The canvas was picked up at a garage sale for $1.  


Pretty sure Apple Barrel craft paints aren't what you're supposed to use on an artists' canvas....but oh-well!



Miles really enjoyed the process.  It's definitely something we'll be doing again!  I'll try to finish it up this week and show you what we come up with for the finished product.


In the meantime, go check out what other contestants are doing this week at:

THE INADVERTENT FARMER'S

6 comments:

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

these posts are always so great, but i love this one especially. so fun to see your daughter enjoying the dirt! and i love that art project. we'll need to give that one a try.

Kirsten said...

oh, oh, i can't wait to see it!!!

and apple barrel paints work perfectly on canvas. i painted a large canvas for kiddo's room with them, and it worked great!

inadvertent farmer said...

Ohhh I love this post! Your little one in the dirt is hilarious...and your project with the sunflowers is something we are doing this weekend!

I can't wait to see your artwork when its all done...great post (as always!) Kim

The author said...

Your kids do have mad gardening skills indeed! I love reading your posts, always so fun. I agree with with Kirsten, your raised beds are so lovely, now I'm beginning to think I need some. I've never wanted nor needed them before!

Cathryn said...

That's how I garden!! --With a "digger-digger" in each hand!!
Love it!!
Ella is so cute in the dirt!

You are so inspiring, I am NOT a crafty person yet I'm sure my kids would have so much fun...maybe I should try it too...

ZippyZippy said...

What a great project with the sunflowers!
I love those little spotty shorts too.

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts