Sunday, August 1, 2010

Kinder Gardens Entry {Week 16.}

We were away from our garden all week.  We got up early Monday morning and said goodbye to our sunflowers, who were on the verge of blooming.  


We pleaded with them to wait until we got home to be beautiful.  And then I left a camera with my mother so she could take pictures of them every day as she tended to the garden while we were away.  (thanks mom!!)  

That sounds so silly.  They are just flowers.  

But a certain little boy talked about his sunflowers and garden while we were away.  He wondered if the flowers would be "bent over to da ground" when he got home.  We've read Sunflower House a million times after all, and he knows exactly what to expect.  

When we got home from our trip, the first place we went, even before going into the house, was to "check on da garden".  He said "Oh, Momma!  Yook at our sunflowers!"  

Ella couldn't keep from reaching for them too.  They're so striking!  I just can't get over them.


He brought his book out into the garden yesterday evening.  


He opened it up to the pages that say...

"One day the leaves are tinged with brown.  
A flower comes tumbling, rumbling down.
Next day some more bend over, fall.
And now it's not a house at all.

We tie it up with string and sticks, 
but it's impossible to fix.
It's gone, there's nothing we can do,
not even with the Glues-All glue."

He took a good look at some of our flowers that are "tumbling, rumbling down".  


And he looked up and said...
"We got any glue Momma?"


Before I could even answer he declared...
"Nah, we just get the seeds out now!!!"

And he turned the page.


It's amazing what this little 3 year old boy is learning from this garden.  
I'm so glad we joined in on the fun at The Inadvertent Farmer this year.  It's taken us on such a fun and unexpected journey!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

I LOVED this post! So creative, with the book and your awesome pictures. Thanks for the visit to my blog, and stopping to say hello. I've never seen your blog before, and I'm glad I found it. :)

Cathryn said...

Such a beautiful post!!
The photos and the sentiment both!

I could really step up on my soapbox about homeschooling right now and what a great job you are already doing, but the proof is in the eyes of your little boy and what you shared in the post!

Motherhood is such a delightful occupation!

inadvertent farmer said...

What a charming post...it is so magical to see our gardens through the eyes of our kids!

As always your photos are marvelous! I am so glad you joined us on this little kinderGARDENS adventure, your contribution has been thoroughly wonderful! Kim

The author said...

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us. It's amazing what all the little ones are learning and how proud they are of their plants.

Kirsten said...

Awwww, sweetness! Too cute. Loved this post. :)

Jodi said...

What a sweet story! He is really connecting with the garden! Keep up the good work!

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts