Monday, June 7, 2010

the church pew {before & after.}

Last October, I stumbled upon these 3 pews for $25 each at a garage sale just down the highway from my house.  

It's been a long time coming, but the vision for one of them finally took shape this weekend. 



BEFORE


Any guesses?


For our little project, we knew we needed to raise the height of the pew.  
So I looked high and low for the perfect sized castors for months.  
On a Spring Break trip to Louisiana, we found this great junk store.  
I've never seen so much junk in all my life.  
And look! A shopping cart FULL of old castors.  


Got 4 of 'em for $20.  {Thanks to Aunt Rwach for helping me fish them out.}


Any guesses now?


When Britton takes on a project that requires his Bob-Villa-esque skills, he puts this little red pencil behind his ear.


It belonged to his Gramps.  I love that.

Here's the pew on our front porch.  Right before we had to man-handle it up the stairs into our bedroom.  
Solid oak church pew = HEAVY!


Anyone figured out what we did yet?

*********
*********
*********
*********
*********
*********
*********
*********
*********
*********
*********
*********
*********

AFTER


We absolutely LOVE it!  


Our bedroom is in desperate need of paint, trim, stain and 100 other finishing touches.  We also dream of the day when - for the first time in our marriage - we'll finally break down and buy ourselves some new, matching, fluffy 
Company Store/Pottery Barn/LL Bean-ish bedding.  
Maybe for our 10th anniversary in January.  We will have certainly earned it by then, right?

But then again, I'm not giving up hope that one of those HGTV stars will show up with their little crew and makeover the whole thing so I don't have to....................................  

O 'scuse me, I was daydreaming.


But until the HGTV people arrive, or until I have a few hundred extra dollars, this custom, one-of-a-kind-$45-headboard-with-cute-little-green-castors makes me just about as happy as I could possibly be.  


AND, it's finally okay to fall asleep in a church pew. 


Whatdya think?

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I couldn't guess on what you were doing with it..... no idea. But I love it! So beautiful.
You don't need an HGTV star to come and redo your bedroom.... It's gorgeous. And I love that you have the little built in side tables on the pew headboard.
I'll be keeping my eyes open for some old pews now.

Cathryn said...

That is so incredible!! I just don't have that kind of vision, and I am so impressed! "finally okay to fall asleep in a church pew"--Very witty!!

As far as I'm concerned you are right on schedule for buying yourself bedding. We didn't spend money on those things until we had been married 14 years! There are just better priorities in life when the kids are little.

Well, and then when they get older, they get more expensive with college and weddings...so just make sure you buy quality not trend!
Great job!

Mrs. Tucker said...

FREAKING AWESOME! At first I thought you were going to put a planter in the space you cut out. I would never have thought of a headboard! And the casters are so cool! Good job girl!

Samantha said...

Love it. LOVE, love, love it!

And seriously, why buy the bedding?? MAKE it!! ;)

faith buss said...

Thanks ladies. It turned out just like I hoped.

Sam - Fabric is just soooooooooo overwhelming. It'll be another 10 years. HA!

Sonja said...

You are the coolest person I know. I love. your. bed.

(how funny that we said that every night when we were in college in our cozy loft beds..."I wuv my bed"...

Maybe you and Britton should go in the bed-making business. Loft beds...pew beds...who knows?? your opportunities are endless.

AND...I love the little-red-bob-villa-pencil-behind-the-ear. Chris had one of those too. It was yellow. Behind his ear every time, too!

AshleyAnn said...

Congrats on the well deserved Design*Sponge feature! What a great creative out of the box makeover!

Deb said...

love this! I posted your pics on my blog and linked to you. Great idea.

Rhonda said...

I just saw this on Design Sponge and I LOVE it! Great idea! I've been trying to find a way to make a pew work in our house without having to dedicate an entire wall for a bench. Since I don't have front porch, this might work out well.

Question for you, what size pew did you use? Is your mattress a queen?

ann said...

Such a great idea!!!

Brett Barner said...

This is such a great idea. Love it! Hope you don't mind, but I posted this on my blog, and linked back. Thanks for sharing! :)

Becky said...

Girl...you have vision!

I love it!

faith buss said...

Rhonda - We have a queen sized mattress. I'll measure it and post that info as well.

Unknown said...

So is the bed just on a basic frame and then pushed into the notch? Is it physically attached to the pew? Is it divine interference keeping your bed a float?

Jaime said...

Hi Faith,
I write for AOL's website ShelterPop and would love to write an article about this project, but I can't see to locate a way to contact you.
Thanks,
Jaime

faith buss said...

Jaime -

You may contact me via email. frbuss@hotmail.com

Thanks so much!

I Play Outside The Box said...

Very unique!! One question....is the bed hard to make up...?....looks to be such a tight fit...next to the 'end tables'.

faith buss said...

IPOTB - Not hard at all. It is a tight fit, but just perfect for the bedding to fit right in. :)

I Play Outside The Box said...

Too cool! Thanks! Now to find such a beautiful pew!

IAMSNOWFLAKE said...

Cool! What a great idea! It looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see what the other two pews will become ...

IAMSNOWFLAKE said...

So cool!!! Gorgeous headboard and side tables. Can't wait to see what the other two pews turn into.

Anonymous said...

Have you thought of posting this on Pinterest? Great idea.

mk said...

I recently bought an old church and am remodeling it so I can live there. I think I'm going to do this with one of the (13!) pews I have. Great idea!

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts