Monday, January 18, 2010

garage sale-ing in january {i danced a jig.}

Garage sale season usually goes dormant through the cold winter months.  It's depressing for me.

On a whim, I checked the classifieds Friday night.  There were two sales (during the summer there are easily 40-50).  I chose one to go to Saturday morning.

I chose well.

Ella and I went early and spent all the cash I had in my pockets and all the change in the ash tray of my Jeep.

I came home excited to show Britton my finds.

Dumped them all in the floor of the entry...



...and danced a jig around them.

Then I called my mom and we went back.

It was an estate sale for an elderly lady.  I wish I had known her.  She was a crafter.  An artist.  A cook and baker.  She knit, crocheted, quilted, and embroidered.  She played piano and organ.

I am so happy to have some of her treasures.







I've been looking for old hymnals for some time now...



Check out the text.... {hahaha!}



And I love that someone jotted down "menthaletum deep-rub".  Wonder what the conversation leading up to that was like....  {My bones are aching!  Have you tried that new menthaletum deep-rub?}

Oh, and vintage owl chimes?  Yes please.



Anything that'll bring "happy tinkling sounds wherever it's hung".

A quilt for my girls room...



It's old, beautiful and HANDMADE.

A musical train for my boy...



I thought it was broken and wouldn't play music anymore.  He figured out - all by himself - that you turn the large wheel to make the music play.

Several brand new artist's canvases...  Got them ALL for $1.



For the pillows I've been wanting to make, but too cheap to buy pillow forms...



...$1 each.

And the crazy-fun-find-of-the-day...

I left both kids with Britton the second time.  He sternly said to me as I walked out the door, "you'd better bring me something."  (I so love him.)

He was pleased that I found a vintage Brownie 8mm movie camera for our collection.



COMPLETE with light kit!




Lights not on (view from behind)...



Lights ON!  All 750 watts of them!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! That camera find is amazing!! You totally scored, awesome!!

P.S. Your little one's hat will be arriving soon!

Patti said...

What fantastic finds! I covet the quilt, especially. You ALMOST make me want to go back to garage saling.

I'm a childhood friend of your mom's. I found your blog through facebook. I found you on facebook by looking through your Uncle Mike's friend list because I didn't find your mother anywhere there. OK, don't call the stalking police just yet, I'd really just love to be in contact with your mom. If you check out my FB profile pic (Patti Segura Daigle), you might get a kick out of it.

My email is patti.daigle@gmail.com. Please let her know I've been stalking her daughter and loving the delightful blog and wishing to be in contact with her.

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts