Adventures in the freakin' hot garden...Week 12.
They're finally here!!!
Sunflowers!!!
They're not quite as tall as last year, but considering this intense heat wave (32 days of over 100 degrees so far), we'll take whatever we get from them.
They make me so stinkin' happy...
The sunflowers....AND the kids.
The heat definitely stunted the growth of our sunflowers. In my unprofessional opinion, our crops missed out on a critical season of growth. The heat coming on so strong and so early in the summer just messed everything up.
And there is no logic about what is surviving and what is croaking.
The cucumber plants I planted in the spring look like this.
The ones I started from seed in June look like this...
Which makes the "fort" a super fun place to hang...
But will it actually produce cucumbers?
That is the question.
Across the yard in "the garden without a fence" (even though we dug the post holes in April...you can see in the pic where I've covered the holes with different pots so no little legs fall in), Miles checks on his "crazy daisies" daily.
They are doing "pretty good, Mom!"
Eggplants continue to do well even thought the plant itself looks pretty terrible...
I made this dip the other night. You should too.
We pulled up a sweet potato just to see what was going on with them. Curiosity got to us...
They're tiny and cute...
The sweet potatoes.....AND the kids.
It really is unbelievable to me that anything around here is alive and well. I've been taking note of flowers that are flourishing. Think I'll plant more of that variety in the future knowing they can take the heat...
It's just so exciting when they start to bloom, ya know?!
Be sure to check out the other KinderGardens this week at The Inadvertent Farmer.

















3 comments:
I love the red beebalm that is tucked in near your sunflowers. I've been trying to grow that color (native here in PA), but to no avail. They only sell the purple ones here.
Love the cucumber fort! I bet that the cucumbers will do very well there.
32 DAYS?! We had one day over 100 last week and I was dying. We spent the entire day in the air conditioning. I don't think we ventured out the door once.
M & E look like they're still having a ball in their garden, regardless of the weather!
love those cutie-patootie sweet potatoes. hope we get some in our garden, too (we started a little late)!
I don't know how I missed this post, but my hats off for another engaging KinderGarden visit!
Wow, that heat is certainly intense. I'm trying not to put a sweatshirt on as I sit outside in the 70 degree breeze. This inequality demands a trip to Washington! We have tents just waiting for y'all!
But then- who would water the garden??
Post a Comment