Thursday, June 16, 2011

KinderGardens 2011 {week 7.}

This week for my KG linkup, I have much to talk ramble about.


Inadvertent Farmer

As far as the garden goes... 

It rained, so of course, everything looks beautiful.  
And now I need to mow.

Herbs look good...


Cucumbers look good...


My eggplants are starting to make...eggplant!  Miles is convinced we will pick eggs off this plant.  I tried to explain about chickens, but he told me "You SAID it was an egg plant."
How can I argue with that?


And teeny little watermelon vines are poking up.


Despite Ella (aka, Bam-Bam) flattening out our hills of dirt after M & I carefully planted the seeds last week.  She's a mess.


The kids continue to not let the snow peas into the house. 


 

And we have our first bell pepper.


In other gardening related news...

I was contacted yesterday by Teresa O'Connor of SeasonalWisdom.com.  She's a Master Gardener, writer, author, speaker and consultant about gardening and fresh foods .  She asked if she could use some photos of M & E in the garden for an upcoming post on why kids should garden.  Of course, after 10 seconds of looking at her beautiful and legit blog, I said YES!  

Now this is the part where you get a glimpse into just how dingy I am...  

I checked out a copy of Grocery Gardening from the library early this week.  


I've been reading through it for a couple of days.  Today, however, as I was flipping through the pages, I read the name...Teresa O'Connor.  I went straight to the back of the book where her bio is listed...it talked about SeasonalWisdom.com.  I ran to my email to be sure.  What a CRAZY coincidence that on the week I check out this book, one of the authors contacts me?  All because of KinderGardens.  She knew through the grapevine that I would have some pictures she could use.  

So anyway....all that to say it's a small world and I'm a digbat.  Excuse me while I run to the library and check out a book by Bill Gates.  No, Steve Jobs.  Or maybe Brad Pitt....or Martha Stewart.  

You can see Teresa's post today at:

Last thing.  

I've been thinking about starting a link up party of my own.  A play off the KG fun...  Because as I plant more and more things - because this gardening stuff is so much fun - I find myself wondering what in the world to do with the harvest.  I'm getting bored with my recipes.  

You're ideas regarding this adventure would be greatly appreciated.  Here are mine:

*weekly linkup called "Cooking What You Grew"...or "I Grew It...Now What?"...or maybe "How to not waste these vegetables since you went to all the trouble of growing them yourself...you squished an awful lot of squash bugs for this."  
*use the linkup to share personal recipes, storage techniques, ect...
*it would't be exclusive...you don't HAVE to grow it to link up
*it would run through the harvesting season...not as long as KGs (??)

Would that be interesting to you?  Would you participate?  Got any ideas?  
Share 'em, please!

Love, 

Your Favorite Digbat in the Whole Wide World


Jump over to The Inadvertent Farmer to see what everyone else in the KG's community is up to!

10 comments:

Cathryn said...

Yeah for the first bell pepper! They are $2-$3 each here! I wish I could grow them, I try every year but it doesn't get hot enough here.

I would like to participate but mostly learn from your link up party! Great idea!
I vote for title #3 ;-)

Kirsten said...

wow, how exciting! so glad your beautiful pics are about to be seen by a wider audience - and M&E will be perfect models for her post! woohoo!

l love the link up party idea, too. i am totally right there with you - i have about two recipes for using up the stuff in my garden, and they get old pretty fast after using them a few bajillion times.

Mama Bean said...

your plants look beautiful, and your kids are adorable - they'll be a great addition to anyone's post on kids gardening :) we had a little Bean go rampaging through our carefully hilled garden plot as well lol. I like your cooking our harvests blog carnival idea :) For me, as a northerner, I won't be harvesting anything for over a month, so I wouldn't have much to contribute until then! But I know, ever since I started this gardening thing, I've been constantly looking for better ways to preserve what we grow and not waste it :)

inadvertent farmer said...

You are not longer a KinderGARDEN secret! Does not surprise me that someone would want to use your photos...they are marvelous!

Your garden looks fantastic...I would love to join your link party, what a super idea! Kim

Shayne said...

Love, love, love the picture where she is hugging the bell pepper! Such a cutie!

Kindra said...

Loved seeing your photos on Teresa's page. I like the like the link party idea, but won't be harvesting anything for a while. You have a BOUNTY over there!

Holly said...

Your pictures are beautiful, so congrats to you! And yes to the recipe link up. I love the "growing" part (so far, since I'm only three weeks into it), but I cannot wait for the "eating" part! What I am hoping is that my ridiculously picky girls will actually eat some veggies that they grew!!! Note to self: must plant snow peas next year and eat them outside!

kellybellybags said...

Ooooh, I would love to see weekly recipe roundups. About July, my kids are so sick and tired of eating stir fry! I love how you supported your cucumbers!

Jess said...

Congrats on having your photos featured! That's awesome! :D

I'm Cassie... said...

I'm glad I scrolled down to see your other recent Kindergardens post! Everything looks beautiful and delicious.......but it makes the destruction of this week's heat even more sad I guess. : (

Anyway, I would interested in a recipe link-up thing......I started canning last year and have been freezing garden produce for years. I usually have more zucchini than I know what to do with and tried quite a few recipes for zucchini muffins and cake last year. Just put up my first batch EVER of strawberry freezer jam....(so excited!) Would love to others' ideas!

And just how cool is it that your photos will be featured?!?!?! Yay for you!

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Popular Posts