Monday, December 7, 2009

Monday, December 7, 2009

I just have to tell someone about the suh-weet deal we got this weekend.

First of all, my hand-me-down vacuum cleaner quit working last week.  The repair guy said it probably wasn't worth fixing.  Bummer.

So that means we were in the market for a new vacuum on Saturday morning when my dear husband declared that everyone "Get dressed!  We're going to get donuts and buy a vacuum."

So off we went.

After MUCH searching, discussion and my silent prayers over making a wise decision, we selected the Dyson DC-17 Animal.  Sounds impressive, huh?

Well, it is.  And so is the story of how we obtained it.

This was not a decision we made lightly.  And when I tell you about the cost, I want you to know that used our "Freedom Savings" to pay cash for it.  It's basically an account that I stash money in each month so we have it in "emergency" situations - like when the freakin' vacuum cleaner breaks.  I read about it when we first got married in a book by Mary Hunt.  Helps keep us from using the credit card.

ANYWAY.....

The Dyson costs $550 regular price.  **gasp--this garage sale-ing cheapskate just passed out again on the floor**

It was on sale for $499.

Britton had to make the purchase, because I was too stressed out over spending all that money.  And also because I was chasing Miles all over the store. B gladly walked it to the counter and asked the guy to price match one we'd found online using his iPhone for $424.00.  It was a long shot because it was only available for that price online.  Stores usually price match if you could drive to a competitor within 100 miles.

PS - If you've never asked a store to price match, you should.  We've saved hundreds doing it.  It's only embarrassing for a second.

The guy couldn't honor the price match.  Kudos for trying he said.  And then he scanned the vacuum cleaner....

And it rang up for $325.00.

And he said to Britton...."You're not gonna believe this, but..."

And Britton said "I really don't believe it."

And they looked at each other for a second.

And then the guy said "Well, it's what the computer says.....Merry Christmas!"

And we got the heck out of there before anyone knew the wiser.

***If you're questioning our ethics here, remind me to tell you the story of the time Britton sent back 9 Macbooks that were delivered to our front door because Mac entered 10 instead of 1 on their computer.  They could not have tracked the error.  It wasn't an error as far as they were concerned.  We could have given them away like Tiger gives away Buicks.  We could have kept them and decorated our house with them. But we sent them back because - lest there be any confusion - we're good and honest people.***  

So meet my new cleaning device.



I didn't even get to be the first one to use it.



Can I just show you that my brand NEW carpet that I don't let people wear shoes on had this in it?



Bleh!

And that's without moving furniture.  That's just in the area that, up to this point, I have vacuumed daily.

I'm telling you, the Dyson's suction power is lightyears beyond regular vacuum cleaners!

I won't go in to all it's wonderful features, but my favorite so far is that with the flip of a switch, I can move from carpet to hardwood and get the same results.

In fact, I think I'm gonna go vacuum now.

4 comments:

Brandi E. said...

well kudos on your new vacuum! Also, that is disgusting... I can only imagine what might come out of my floors. haha

alisha said...

you will continue to love it-- we have the same one! but we didnt get that good of a deal! yay you!

Sonja said...

Just think how good that Dyson would have done on our old green and white rug and that gosh-awful couch from Linda's Super-Sale! :-)

bsjones7 said...

I dont think I have ever commented on your blog before, but I enjoy reading it! Your kiddos are super cute and Miles looks like he is about Caleb's (our son) age. Anyway, you will love you Dyson, I got mine 3 years ago and it still works GREAT! You got a super deal too! Have a great holiday season!
Stephanie

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts