Monday, May 9, 2011

KinderGardens 2011 {week 1.}

The Inadvertent Famer has launched Season 2 of the KinderGardens adventure.  A recap of our adventures last year can be found HERE.  So buckle up... every Thursday through October 6th I'll be linking up with gardeners across the blogosphere to share the experiences of gardening with children.  


Inadvertent Farmer


We had such a great time last year.  And if you're new to this blog, "we" is:

Me...Faith...I'm the wife & momma.
Britton...the husband, dad and slave labor super helpful gardening support staff.
Miles....4 years old...."My favorite thing about our garden is the 'begetables'.  And the seeds.  And the dirt."
Ella....2 years old...learned to walk behind a shopping cart in the garden last summer.  "Darden.  Yay!!"

 This is our second year of gardening.  I'm officially still considering myself a rookie.  I've checked out 17 gardening books from the library.  


But I'm not any smarter about anything.  I just like to look at the pictures.  

So far we've added six more raised beds to the vegetable garden party.  

{returning from last year...}

{the newbies...awaiting their fence.}

There is no master plan.  
I'm winging it. 
We'll see how it turns out.  
In the ground and already keeping us busy...

:: onions
:: lettuce
:: spinach
:: radishes
:: carrots
:: tomatoes
:: bell peppers (red, yellow & green)
:: jalepeno peppers
:: banana peppers
:: peas
:: green beans
:: eggplant
:: squash
:: zucchini
:: strawberries
:: basil, parsley, mint, lavender, rosemary, and other herbs


I'm working on our flower beds too.



I'd love to have enough flowers to occasionally have fresh cut ones on the dining room table (and still have color in the garden).  I love the look of a wildflower garden, but am not quite sure how to achieve it since I've had no luck with seeds thus far.  I'd love to know what flowers you love to grow!

We spend our time playing in the garden each day.  My children don't know it any other way.  And M already thinks he knows everything there is to know.  

I look forward to another year of fun in the sun AND the dirt.  I've already been inspired by the creativity of some of the other ladies joining in on the KG fun!

6 comments:

Nap Mom said...

Wow! Love it! I'm winging it too. I like your collection of gardening books from the library. Maybe if I read a little bit about what I am doing then I might be more successful.

I like your pics. You reminded me to add strawberries to my list. Is it too late for them? I'll google that now.

Kirsten said...

you make me laugh!

your garden looks awesome!! i can't believe you have all that stuff in the ground already. you are super-gardener! :)

kiddo is looking forward to following the garden adventures of miles (and matthew, too) this summer.

The author said...

Can't wait to see what fun you have in the garden this year!

Cathryne said...

Your garden is great already and your kids are great gardeners!
Thanks for the offer to join the Farrm, I may have to take you up on it this year as my teenagers are exercising their hormonal authority and balking like they think they have a choice!

This year will require my full capacity of patience.

Send some sun my way this year!!

Oh, and try English Daisies, they are hearty and self seed.

Jess said...

Oh my goodness! Look at your gorgeous garden already! We don't have a single thing in the ground yet, but your photos give me hope that we'll get there soon.

Sarah M said...

I need to divide my shasta daisies. Would you like some? They make great cut flowers!

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts