Wednesday, December 8, 2010

christmas traditions {decorating the tree.}

It usually takes me a good two days to put the lights on the tree.  

I have this funny memory of our first Christmas as a married couple. Britton and I lived in a married student apartment complex up the stairs from some good friends, David and Jenny.  We bought our trees together that year, brought them home and began decorating them on the same afternoon.  I needed a break from putting lights on, so we ventured downstairs to see how their tree was coming along.

A Martha Stewart christmas special was on their television...and David, who was in charge of their tree lights, was making fun of how Martha carefully and intricately threaded each light strand in and out of the branches, covering the entire tree with a million perfectly placed luminaries.  

David was wrapping his lights in a random fashion.  
Not a bad technique.  
Just a different technique. 

As he continued to poke fun at Martha, my husband began to chuckle.  
Then I started laughing too.  
For although I didn't know it was "Martha's way", it was precisely what had been going on upstairs in our little apartment.  
It's the way I learned from my mom.  I will attempt to pass it along to my children.  But it may have to be when they're older because as soon as that Christmas tree hit our living room floor, Miles wanted to decorate it.  

M:  "Get those yites on the tree, Mom!  And yet's decorate!"

It only took me 1/2 a day this year.  I may get to pass my "Christmas nazi" title on to an heir sooner than we thought.

Enter another Christmas tradition.  
New ornaments.


I put all the lights, garland, tinsel, and bow on the tree, then everyone helps decorate.


But before we start to decorate, the kids get new ornaments. 
This is the way it has been my entire life.  If ever we have a house fire, and I have a chance to save things, I'm grabbing my ornaments.  They are like treasure to me.  They help tell the story of my life and each has a special meaning.


This year, Miles got Cookie Monster....holding a train cake.
  

Ella got Elmo....riding a horsey.  


If there are two things she loves, it's Elmo and horses.

Then we decorate.  


While we decorate, Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas plays.  


And for a few moments, all the world is right.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness. First off, your tree is beautiful. I tend to take a while lighting our tree, too. But in all seriousness, the picture of Ella with her hand on Miles has me all choked up. SO precious. Savor these moments. They flee far too quickly.

Cathryn said...

Sweet post!! You make everything look perfect! I love the siblings in front of the tree shot--so wonderful. I try to retake some of the same shots year after year...that one would be great to get each year as they grow up.

sherrieb said...

You've made me cry... again...

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts