Saturday, April 24, 2010

2 thumbs up {butternut squash.}

Recently, I was intimidated by butternut squash.  
It's not something I ever buy.  
But this website...

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/squashbabyfoodrecipes.htm

...made it sounds so stinkin' easy that I just up and bought some butternut squash at the grocery store the other day.  

It's been a successful journey.  
I'm getting rave reviews.  
In fact, I can't get the spoon back to Ella's mouth fast enough. 


She's a big fan of her momma's butternut squash.  


And, lucky for me, it was super easy!  

So, I'm here today to inspire anyone who might be in a position to be inspired to make baby food.  

For the rest of you who have no need for making baby food, maybe you can tell someone you know just how easy you heard it is.  

And for those of you who are interested in secretly feeding butternut squash to your older children and spouses, you can use this method to puree it and sneak it into spaghetti sauce and all sorts of other things...Jessica Seinfeld - Jerry's wife - wrote an entire cookbook on these sneaky ways..."Deceptively Delicious"....and I have a stolen copy that I will eventually return to my friend Suzy.  

You can read other places how to prepare it various ways, but here's all I did.

1.  Figure out what butternut squash looks like.
2.  Buy some butternut squash at the grocery store.  
3.  Come home and turn the oven on to 400 degrees.
4.  Trim the ends and cut the thing in half (longways).
5.  Scoop out the seedy part with a spoon.  
6.  Put the two squash halves down flat on a baking sheet.
7.  Bake for 40 minutes (give or take a few depending on the size of your squash).
8.  Cool.
9.  Scoop out the "meat".  You can puree it at this point, but I just smushed it up with a fork.  It was plenty tender and the consistency was fine for E.  
10.  Divide portions out and freeze them for later.  

Boom!  Told ya it was easy.  

And here's what I use to freeze the portions.  


The Beaba Freezer Tray.  Picked it up at Williams Sonoma the other day, but you can get them elsewhere online.  I really like it!  You can use the green one for veggies and the orange one for fruits.  

So the moral of the story is, I was scared of butternut squash, but now I'm not.  
Phew!!!  
Glad I got that off my chest. 

1 comment:

Lei said...

I like butternut squash and spaghetti squash.

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts