Monday, June 27, 2011

KinderGardens 2011 {week 8.}

I have put this week's post off until the last possible minute. 
It pains me to talk about the garden this week.

Inadvertent Farmer

The HEAT, WIND and DRY conditions this early in the summer aren't making for much success in Oklahoma gardening.

Though the bean plants are beautiful...


There are NO beans.


OK, ONE bean.
But the tomatoes aren't near keeping up with what they did last year either.

The cucumbers are climbing and flowering...
But only this little cucumber so far.


We soaked it in....just in case it's the only one.


For the most part, the squash aren't getting any farther than this...



They're just rotting off.  I've even got the squash bugs under control!!  And no squash.

We water daily...  


And still, some evenings, after being beat down by the sun and wind things look like this...



The snow peas are done.  Too hot for them...


Seedlings are literally being ripped out of the ground by the wind.


We've lost nearly all the watermelon and okra we planted a few weeks ago.  Eeek!

Despite a run with flea beetles, the eggplant just may make it...


But what the crap is going on with this webby thing on the marigolds?!?!


***Sigh***
We WILL keep plugging along, hoping for the best.
There are peppers growing and my herbs look wonderful.  So all is not lost.

The beautiful thing is that the kids don't really seem to know the difference.


They don't care about how FULL the shopping cart is.  
They just find joy in pushing it around and filling it with whatever they find.


When they do come across the occasional treasure, it's the most exciting thing in the world.


I've just decided that, for this year anyway, it may not be about the harvest at all.  
With this heat, it may not even be about beauty for that much longer.
It's just truly going to be about getting outside together.  
Sweating together.
Getting dirty together.
Having fun together.


'Cause we really do have fun... 


And we'll just have to see what next week brings...


Oh wait...
{Funniest Debbie Downer SNL video ever HERE....'cause you need a laugh now.}

****

Jump over to The Inadvertent Farmer to see what everyone else in the KG's community is up to this week!

7 comments:

Michele said...

LOL-loved your post! I think everything looks beautiful even still. The cute shopping cart does it for me every time. That lesson right there is why we even attempt any of it. Best of luck surviving the heat, I'd wilt like the plants for sure.

Kirsten said...

oh, NO! your poor garden! i think i would be looking wilty and brittle after all that heat, too, but how frustrating! i think i just might cry for you. sniffle. :(

glad your little ones are making the most of it and enjoying themselves despite the setbacks. love the excitement over their tomatoes and single cucumber and other loot!

i'm sure debbie downer could think of something else that could go horribly wrong with your garden, but i'll be hoping it can hang on just a little longer until the heat abates a bit!

inadvertent farmer said...

Please make sure to post last weeks and this weeks on KinderGARDENS link-up...we learn so much from each other, even through the hard gardening times.

I am soooo very sorry about your garden woes. I will try very hard not to complain about my mid sixties and wet day here on the West coast...I can't imagine what my garden would do with those temps.

Your kids on the other hand are growing like weeds...cute adorable weeds!

Chin up, there is always fall planting! Kim

Brandi E. said...

Sorry about your garden, but
I love their bright and smiling faces in the midst of all that!

That is my favorite Debbie Downer skit!! haha

Callie said...

Sometimes it is just about finding joy in the process, whatever that may be. Easier said then done. It is true the kids don't know the difference, we should learn from them. Good luck with the heat!

Jess said...

Oh, I share your despair, but not for an excess of heat (yet). Wet and cold here. So so many of my seeds never grew. But it's true, it just doesn't bother the kids so much. When we checked on our popcorn maze last, I said something depressing like "look at how many of them didn't grow", to which my six year old squealed "But LOOK at how many of them DID grow MOMMY!!!"

I'm Cassie... said...

Oh, I am sad for you. : (

And I'm with Jess above..... opposite conditions are making gardening a challenge "up here" in Minnesota, too.

Your children are beautiful and it always amazes me how resilient they are to things like this. As somehow commented on one of my KinderGardens posts a few weeks ago, "Gardening is not for the weak."

Hope things turn around for you and that you survive this 4th of July Heat (we even got a little of that up here now too).

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Popular Posts