Sunday, July 25, 2010

Kinder Gardens Entry {Week 15.}

Round 2 of the garden is upon us.  Most recently, we pulled our green beans (they were no longer producing) and planted some more pumpkin seeds. 


Super Miles watered them in like a pro.  He loves that part.  


Our okra is really starting to take off! 
"It's so et-citing!"



And have you ever seen such a crazy cucumber?  


"Momma, hahahaha, that cucwumber looks so sil-yee!!  Hahahahaha!"

When they work together in the garden it's serious business. 


They stick out their tongues like....


And can I just mention that gardening with a 3 year old means...


Don't dress him for the day until the watering is done.  
My mistake.

We have about 5 little watermelons.  
I noticed on of them was cracked (*sad face*), so I opened it to see what was inside. 



Sure enough, it looks like a watermelon.  
I hope the others make it the full journey so I can eat them!

Even smaller is this cantaloupe.  
Who knew they were fuzzy?  



I'll leave you with this for Week 15...


How do you like to eat butternut squash?  
Got any good recipes to share?
How do you store it?
How long does it keep?

I could google these answers, I just want a real life person that I know to share their expertise.

Happy Gardening!

Go check out what other contestants are doing this week at:

THE INADVERTENT FARMER'S




3 comments:

inadvertent farmer said...

I have never grown butternut squash...but my other winter squashes keep for months in the garage.

Most squash is good with a sprinkling of brown sugar and baked. I also use any winter varity for pureeing and freezing for breads and cookies in the winter.

Love this post, your garden is just coming along wonderfully!

inadvertent farmer said...

Oh...and those tongues are hilarious! Kim

Cathryn said...

You can use any winter squash to make pumpkin pie! Cut in half and steam, let cool and scrape the meat out, put into a blender with all the ingredients, blend until smooth and pour into your crust. Quick and not too messy and if you don't tell anyone it's not pumpkin, I bet they would never know!

Keep cool and dry and they will last months.

Look for the book "Root Cellaring" It says keep them 50-60 degrees and 60-70 % humidity.

Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Popular Posts